Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's All In the Details...

I would like to officially announce that building the house has been more fun than I anticipated. Well, now that we are down to the detail work. I am typically a "big picture" girl- but have really enjoyed watching how our hundreds of decisions are now taking shape. I think *next time*, like 20 years from now- it will be even more fun since I won't have my attention so spread so thin. The cabinets are Natural Knotty Cherry (that means no stain- just clear coat). They will darken as they age. We chose this color 1. because the builder has it and they are beautiful and 2. because the cabinet guy said Cherry is very hard and should a Hot Wheel dent a cabinet, he can sand it down and re-clear coat it. The built-in wine rack is Jason's idea. He also gets credit for the wood down the middle of the glass- the glass would be too big without the strip- makes it look like 2 doors when it is only one. Had it been 2 and opened in the middle, the glass door may have been compromised on a bottle neck sticking out.
The kitchen island has built-in adjustable shelves on the end for my cookbooks. Brilliant.

The supports on the counter of the drop zone are now on the island. The drop zone is right inside of the back door - nary a paper to enter the kitchen - they are all to be dumped here. Mail slots, cell phone plug ins, 4 junk drawers and a junk cabinet, and adjacent to the drop zone will be backpack hooks. Again, brilliant. Cheri is taking credit for this one also.

The whole kitchen. One mistake we made- too big of window above the kitchen sink- thus no backsplash to catch water. We'll have to be careful there.

Jason's vanity- mine is identical but on the other wall- CANNOT WAIT for this!! Raised to 36 inches so when J washes his face the bathroom will not be a swamp.

River rock on the Master shower ceiling. It will have grout so you can't see the lines and the sides of the rocks. The floor will match. There will be a ribbon of river rock in the middle of the shower as well as on the tub and vanity backsplashes.

Another Cheri Idea... built-in washer/drier platform on the left- and then individual cubbies for laundry baskets under the folding cabinet. LOVE THIS. My plan is to wash, dry, fold, and sort into baskets for each child. No more "3 in 1" basket to sort through as I put away. Hurrah!

Back to the kitchen- an Appliance Lift for the Kitchen Aide mixer. It will bring it to countertop height where it sits during use. There is a plug in at the back of the cab as well. And a sliding shelf for more storage. And cookie sheets to the right. Brilliant! SO EXCITED!!

"Tile Carpet" in the entry way. The flooring gal's and builder's wife's idea. Never would have occurred to me. Ever.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks AWESOME. I would be totally excited, too. Heck, I'm excited to just stay in the place at Christmas! ;-)

Ariana said...

wait...who said you get to stay there?

Cheri said...

I am working out a way for everyone to stay. No fighting! There might be an air mattress here or there- but it will be fine.

Robyn said...

Can I stay? It looks awesome Cheri...I am sure you excited to move in. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ruthie said...

I'm surprised you guys don't wanna bunk with Jamie or Maria in our 3 bedroom home?

I'm totally kidding.

CHERI it looks so great. I might have to stalk by sometime and see it again. I'm so excited for you guys!!! But I'm mostly excited for Ava and her giant room and her own bathroom....lucky girl!!

Cheri said...

The girls are *almost* old enough for overnighters- it will be great for her to have that big room! Esp with all the testosterone that will live in the basement!

Kyle and Melanie White said...

Coming along nicely. Thanks for the "tour" of all the neat features you've worked in. Can't wait to see it finished.